Intermediate Courses by Correspondence
The same but different!
How do Intermediate Courses by Correspondence work:
- Lessons will be emailed. For those without access to a computer they can be sent by snail mail or to a ‘safe buddy’ for printing.
- Lessons will sent to arrive just before the scheduled class dates.
- The tutor will be available by email or phone for any queries.
- For Blackwork, a kit of fabrics for the samplers, some difficult to obtain threads and a few other items will be mailed out prior to the date of the first scheduled class. For Drawn Thread, this is to be confirmed.
- There will be a slight adjustment to the kit cost to allow for postal expenses and provision of further materials.
Intermediate Course Class Fee: (members only): $275.00
Please do not telephone Embroidery House or use snail mail to apply as we cannot guarantee we will receive your application. Members who don’t use email will need a ‘safe buddy’ to apply with postal arrangements to be put in place after that. Thank you for your understanding.
Date content last modified: 04/04/2020
Tutor: Susan Davis
Blackwork is a monochromatic embroidery technique which enjoyed wide popularity in Tudor and Elizabethan times, where it was used to great effect to embellish clothing and household textiles with intricate borders, motifs, or fillings within larger designs.
The embroidery was most commonly worked in black silk thread on white linen but blue, green and red silks were also used.
After a revival in the early 20th century we still enjoy traditional styles and applications of blackwork but also work in more contemporary ways. We use a wider variety of threads and colour, including variegated threads, and work in new styles using the density of pattern and thickness of thread to help create realistic and artistic dimensional images.
In this Intermediate course you will be able to explore both traditional and contemporary applications of the technique.
Dates: Sundays April 5, May 10, June 6, July 5, August 2, September 6.
Assessment at Embroidery House: Saturday October 31 (subject to confirmation).
Applications will remain open until May 10 or until all places in the course are filled. There are presently 3 vacancies remaining.
Tutor: Susan Davis
Drawn Thread embroidery is a technique normally worked on linen, with horizontal or vertical threads removed from the ground fabric and decorative stitches worked over the remaining threads, often creating a lacy effect.
The proposed time schedule will be deferred by a month from the original dates.
Revised Dates: Saturdays May 16, June 20, July 18, August 15, September 19 and October 24.
Assessment at Embroidery House: Sunday December 6 (subject to confirmation).
Applications are open.
Tutor: Jene Martin.
This class will not proceed in 2020. Look for a reschedule in 2021.