2020 was to be a year of great celebration – we all know how that turned out!
Technically, we didn’t turn 60 until June and we will be 60 until June of 2021, so let’s restart the party and keep it going!
As soon as Embroidery House is open, we will be posting all of the events here – so check back regularly as we add more to the page!
Members Statewide have been stitching their fingers to the bone in readiness for this exhibition, which while postponed a little is still planned to go ahead. The exhibition is a joint celebration of our Guild’s 60th anniversary and The Johnston Collection’s 30th anniversary and also celebrates the collaborations of the two organisations over the past 17 years.
As of writing this, the exhibition is scheduled to start on December 1st, 2020 and will run until February 23rd, 2021 (pending Covid-19 restrictions lifting). Please support The Johnston Collection and your fellow members by booking a tour to see the exhibition which has taken three years to plan and stitch for. Bookings will be through their website: https://johnstoncollection.org
Please stay posted – we will be updating this section regularly. Monthly Displays planned include the following:
* A display of members’ completed Diamond Jubilee Samplers, Treasure Packs and Memento Boxes
* A display of the Diamond Jubilee Challenge
* A display of the Guild’s History
* ‘A Stitcher’s Journey’
As part of our 60th anniversary celebrations, all EGV members are invited to commemorate this milestone by creating a memento of their own or with a group of fellow stitchers. You may choose to work the spectacular Diamond Jubilee Sampler designed just for this occasion, or perhaps create one of the smaller complementary projects that will be on offer.
The Diamond Jubilee Sampler is a counted thread band sampler with many original designs inspired by Australian flora, including Victoria’s state floral emblem – the Pink Heath. An exciting range of embroidery techniques has been used including Assisi work, bargello, blackwork, cross stitch, drawn thread work, pulled thread work, reticella and surface stitchery.
The sampler pattern is now available – to members only, through this website. Use the links to access the following documents: The Diamond Jubilee Sampler Instructions, Diamond Jubilee Sampler Charts and the Diamond Jubilee Sampler Stitch Plan and Guide.
PLEASE NOTE YOUR MOBILE PHONE WILL NOT BE SUFFICIENT. USE YOUR COMPUTER OR A TABLET.
Diamond Jubilee Sampler Instructions
* 20 pages of quality instruction, with explanatory stitch directions or photographs in colour.
* Print in portrait orientation, on A4 paper.
* High quality bright white, 100gsm paper is recommended.
* Download the Sampler Instructions. (Large download: 6.3 MB)
Diamond Jubilee Sampler Charts
* 6 pages of quality colour charts.
* Print in landscape orientation, on A4 paper.
* Bright white, 100gsm paper is recommended for printing.
* NOTE: For the most economical fit, Band 10 has been placed on page 2, out of number order. For Band 12A your print settings may change the design dimensions, a check measure is recommended before use.
* Download the Sampler Charts. (Large download: 4.4 MB)Diamond Jubilee Sampler Stitch Plan and Guide
* 4 pages which give you the overall layout of the sampler including 2 options for Bands 11 and 12 plus the opportunity to record your answers to some key questions to get you started.
* Print in portrait orientation, on A4 paper in black and white or colour. For greatest flexibility, print single-sided.
* Good quality, bright white paper is recommended.
* Use this guide to plan your own individual sampler.
* Each band is included, numbered and named with the vertical thread count noted, including that of the spaces between the bands.
* Select the bands you would like to include on your sampler.
* If you wish, cut up the Stitch Plan and Guide and play with a different arrangement of bands.
* Add up the thread count for your selected bands. If this is different to the sampler as originally planned you will need to calculate your own fabric requirements. Bear in mind that the recommended fabric length on Page 3 of the instructions allows for only one version of Band 11 and one of Band 12. Don’t forget to allow sufficient fabric on all sides for finishing.
* An opportunity for you to consider your thread choices is also provided.
* Set up your tacking plan and get started!
* Download the Stitch Plan and Guide. (Large download: 3.9 MB)
A printed copy of these notes is also available for a very reasonable price of $10 (for pickup at Embroidery House) or you may request a mailout which will cost $12.50 (to also cover postage and packaging). The order form for Diamond Jubilee mementos (Order Form) can be used to order a printout.
Our wonderful design team: Victoria Laine, Susan Davis, Carol Bateson, Joy Biancacci, Chris Burton, Lorna Law, Sheryl Turton and Penny Wolswinkel. Contributions were also made by Rosemary Tonkin and Marg Freeman.
The Treasures Pack is for EGV members who wish to use the Diamond Jubilee Sampler instructions in different ways. It includes construction information for a variety of small items and photographs of examples created by the Diamond Jubilee Sampler Design Team to give you ideas for your own embroidery.
The Treasures Pack is a fundraiser for the Guild and is only be available in hard copy for $20, or by mail for $22.50. Download the Order Form.
To celebrate our 2020 Diamond Jubilee, we’re offering a variety of quality mementos.
* Engraved “Dovo” German high-quality embroidery scissors $40.00 – These are even more special now that Dovo has ceased making their wonderful scissors
* 60th Diamond Jubilee lapel pin $5.00
* Engraved “diamond” gem ball point pen $7.00
* Trinket boxes including one pattern per box for embroidered insert $35.00 – Six designs available created by talented members: Blackwork, Cross Stitch, Drawn Thread, Elizabethan, Goldwork or Stumpwork – with a choice of three box finishes: Distressed Black, Distressed Cream or Woodgrain
* Charted pattern for beautiful Diamond Jubilee Sampler, exclusive to members
* Sampler Treasure Pack, which includes patterns and construction notes for seven small embroidered items related to the Jubilee sampler, exclusive to members. $20.00
Download and complete the Momento Order Form. Email or mail it, or bring it to Embroidery House. Orders can be placed by phone.
Do NOT send payment with the order form. You will be notified of costs of post and handling if applicable, and card surcharge if applicable.
Card payment for pick up from Embroidery House will also incur a card surcharge.